Monday, May 11, 2009

Miss USA Controversy

During the past few weeks, Miss USA was about to be decided and given to Carrie Prejean. It was abruptly stopped when Perez Hilton; a gossip columnist asked her a question on gay marriage. This sparked a lot of controversy and in response to this, she lost the chance to be Miss USA.  On a interview on the TODAY show she was quoted as saying "I did not want to offend anybody, but I think with that question specifically, it's not about me being politically correct, for me it's about being biblically correct". On the show, when they asked her the Gay marriage question about how more states show allow same sex marriages she was stated saying she was all for it except the fact that it should be a man and woman because that is how she was raised.  To be honest; I don't believe she should be ridiculed  over this and her answer to the question. It was her own belief and just like everyone has one it shouldn't have been an issue. She was only criticized for this because she was going to be crowned "Miss USA" and people got offended because it was said. People are allowed to say whatever they want; however they want unless they are putting someone in danger or misleading people with false information. I don't think this should of stirred up so much controversy like it did. If that's how she was raised, let it be. If this was true, then don't you think everyone should each be criticized for what they believe in individually?  This is not something that she should have gotten her crown taking away from. Other controversy such as modeling "half nude" before placing in the Miss USA pageant is more of a  reason  for her to lose her place because these girls should be role models for others; and not something parents cover little girls eyes about. The world makes a big thing of the smaller things than actually making a bigger deal with the things that should be spoken about.

3 comments:

  1. Bree, if you watched the news today you will see that she was actually not punished for her opinion she gets to keep her crown. I could not agree with you more, I think she was not offensive and answered a question the way she truly felt, there was no reason for her to be investigated and embarassed for staing an opinion, simply because it was the one that not everyone wanted to hear. You can't please everyone,and in america this should not be happening.Whether one supports gay marriage or not, the issue was this young woman being persecuted for what she truly beleived, everyone new it was a possibility when they asked her,if ones afraid of the response than why ask the question. I really do beleive she did not mean to offend anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you because she did not offend anyone she was just stating her own opinion. Everyone has different opinion about gay marriage and i think she should not have been punished for her opinion. She shouldn't be criticized for what she truly believes in and its not her fault that she has been brought up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why she was even asked.

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete