Monday, April 6, 2009
Rap music ?
In today's society the most common genre of music listened to for teens is none other than rap music. You hear it everyone blasting in car radios, parties, or even at home. Today, rap music is the start of fights for parents, but the words spoken among teenagers. Rap music has changed over and personally I don't listen to it as often as I used to; and it's probably because things have changed and the things people rap about now a days have changed. There is no such thing as "clean rap" or "fun rap" anymore because kids today consider it as "lame" or "boring". It's horrible how things have changed and what kids turn to now to get away from the world. In rap songs now, there's nothing but sexist comments against woman; violence, and racial slurs. The sad part of this all, is that we all buy or download these songs. How can anyone especially a young girl download a song and sing to it in a car when they literally talk about nasty and vile things? Of course I'd be hippo critical if I said i never downloaded these kind if songs but I can honestly say I don't listen to it as much. Since when did degrading woman and killing people become a tune to sing along to? If this is true, then the world needs to step back and take a good look at what's happening. Where did the rap songs go where they spoke about true things such as life, and struggles real people go through? This topic never comes across to rappers anymore but yet they keep selling. I think teens don;t sit down and listen to lyrics and actually understand what they mean; although they listen to it because they're friends do. Parents take these songs to the next level by blaming rap songs for society problems such as teen crimes & murders. They believe lyrics from these so called "rap artists" are the ones to blame for their child's behavior but are they really? I believe rap songs take some part in it but for the most the problem lays in the hands of the parent. Parents should pay more attention to what they're kids listen to and kids should realize what they're listening to is NOT cool and that they should find other things to talk about and listen to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You're absolutely right Briann, rap music today is all about violence, racial slurs, etc. I think since the beginning rap music has had a sense of these portrayed in it's music, even though I'd be completely generalizing the genre of music by saying that. It's not so much rap that has changed, its hip-hop as a whole. I'm not a HUGE fan of some of today's hip-hop 'stars' either, but we have to understand that with time there is change. Good blog!
ReplyDelete-HOLLA
Both of you are right. If you listen to old school rap, most of it has meaning. It talks about struggles of everyday life, and about things that most of us can relate to. Now that has changed. Its become all about sex,drugs,girls,cars, and "bling bling". The words use to tell a story, but now it lost all of that. Maybe it's because this world has become so materialistic, that all of this is all that matters. It's sad that such an important hip-hop culture has come to drugs,sex and violence
ReplyDeleteYou are all right. ^ Rap music has changed over the course of time. The inspiring lyrics have been replaced with great beats. If you listen to an old school rap song, the beat is goes unnoticed because the lyrics are so powerful, whereas today the beat is what makes a song hit the top charts. Lately rap songs have become about drugs, violence and racial slurs, with a few exceptions. It's likely for a preteen to be exposed to all this violence based on the influential lyrics of a rap song and that must be stopped. Where'd all the rappers that make good songs about real life issues go ? We're not all running around with money spending it on sex and drugs, we need rap songs we can relate to. I may have just made a hypocritical statement because I do listen to some of these new rappers because they're everywhere in the media. Even if rappers like Lil Wayne and T.I. don't always rap about things we can relate to, we listen to them anyway and get used to their songs, though we may consider their lyrics degrading. When something is everywhere around you, you adapt to it just as these preteens are adapting to lil wayne songs, is it right for them to? Clearly not but some of these rappers are colossal, you can't help but tune into the beat. However if influential rap songs with powerful lyrics were out there, just as they used to be, it would be better for youth and the rest of society.
ReplyDeleteI don't think "rap music" plays a major roll in violence today. Rap and music is only a way to express the way someone feels, not to cause violence. Depends on what kind of rap you are talking about but with violence there is a connection with all different types of music and violence. That is like saying Reggae music starts teenagers to smoke weed. We could never know because we don't know what goes through the minds of people to actually start violence. It can be many things that starts violence. Video games, the killing, fighting, shooting, stealing etc. Also the neighborhood people grow up in. The "Ghetto" can corrupt many people in ways we don't even know. Yeah, parents if you don't like your kids listening to "rap" turn the radio off. It isn't just male rappers that is using strong words, it is women MC's and rappers doing the same thing, So really everyone is degrading each other. Everyone just blames music for everything, Sex, drugs, violence, and so on.
ReplyDeleteMore than the posting, I like the intellligent conversation to follow. I think you have generalized, Briann, and are being stereotypcial but your ideas do have some validity.
ReplyDeleteGrade: 3/4