Monday, April 20, 2009

Teen Alcohol Abuse

In today's society, teens that drink is as common and "normal" as eating or breathing. Nowadays kids teens don't realize what they out into their body and how it's harming them. Studies show there have been many health risks for drinking. Long term risks can include certain cancers, liver damage, and literal shrinking of the brain. Too much of anything is no good especially when it can lead to bigger problems in your lifetime. Professionals today are worried about the increasing amount of teens putting their lives in danger with alcohol abuse. I  believe many people know about these affects but just don't care.  Many teens drink for various reasons but a lot of times it's for the same reason for many actions of teens; fitting in with their friends or to go along with the crowd in order to be accepted by society. Not only are teens putting their lives in danger they could possibly be putting others too. Drinking and driving was surveyed to be the leading cause of death among teens ages 15-20. Deaths are twice more likely to happen for alcohol  involved drivers 21 and older. Alcohol can also interact with conditions such as depression and stress that lead to suicide.  I agree that drinking underage can be a bad choice because usually teens get to carried away and they do more than they should. Teens make more bad choices than adults so I think drinking can wait and people shouldn't out their life on the line for a "good night" or "party". There are  other ways of having a good time and doing it responsibly. I think things such as drinking should wait until you and your body is more ready too.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Bree, it’s Joe and I could not agree more. It seems that all you hear in today’s society the latest way to have a good "time" drugs and alcohol have become a part of growing up and it should not be the case. I think the issue stems from teenagers not really knowing the harmful effects of sustenance on their bodies. I have seemed so many parents cry themselves to sleep over losing their kids to abuse of drugs or alcohol and even drinking and driving accidents. Teens need to become aware of just what they are doing with their friends. Physically ingesting poison into one’s self is not exactly the most intelligent thing to do. I would hope that children and teens become aware of what goes on and how it can affect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teenagers are so ignorant. They believe anything they want to weither it is a known fact or not. Apart of being a teen like you said is that there will always be peer pressure. Peer pressure and trying to "fit in" is what starts it all in my opinion.
    I can say that drinking alcohol doesnt only give you health problems it can lead to so many more things. One thing that terrifies me and exspecially since I am a girl are date rap drugs. You can be out at a party having fun and you turn your back in two seconds and thats it. A second could change your whole life, that is what people do not understand. Your friends are out to have a good time like you are, they are probably drinking too so who will watch out for you when you are so wasted and dont know anything that it going on around. Drinking to me is not that big of deal, it is the point of being drunk or even typsie that will get you into trouble or even give you health risks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I do think that many teens drink alchol just as much as they would eat or drink something. I think it's just stuipd what most teens do these days. Just to either fit in or "drinking" is just their defintion of having a "good time." Whatever happened to going to the movies, going out to eat, hanging out with friends, going to the mall, etc. Nowadays everyone wants to go clubing and go drinking because its "fun" I think thats just plain stupid. Ok maybe once in a blue just for kicks but to make drinking a habit that's not to smart.
    Some people who drink make up excuses as to why they drink. Many people say "I drink because I am depressed." Personally I would think someone would go to a therepist if your depressed, not pick up a bottle, because in reality when you drink yea your problems go away when your drunk because you dont realize they are there but when you sober up those problems are just going to smack you in the face once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.Most of the teen society today are drinking and doing more drugs.Teenagers think to have a good time with your friends is if they drink alchol. I feel that there are better things to do to have fun.I get sad when I hear on the news that young teenagers die because of drunk driving or just wasint thinking right and did something stupid.Teenagers are always under the pressure by their piers, either by doing drugs, cutting class, smoking etc. I agree with Margaret that when you drink your problems go away and when your sober your problems come right back. Teens, WAKE UP drinking is not the only thing to do with frinds to have fun. As long as your with the people that you enjoy being around why bother picking up a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teenagers rush into drinking and doing drugs because that is what they are exposed to. Every film, every music video, every song is about drugs, alcohol and sex unless it's rated G. Disney channel and Nickolodean are the very few channels that intend on censoring the the things that taint youth. Most adults drink excessively because they're depressed from stress at work or family problems at home but teenagers drink for other purposes. They don't drink to relieve their stress, they drink to get drunk because the feeling satisfies them. It's not so satisfying when you're drunk driving at 80 miles per hour in a 40 miles per hour zone and you happen to get into a car crash, ironically that's quite depressing. Studies show that the most accidents occur from the ages of 18-22, most of which happen while they are under the influence. As a result, insurance companies have increased their rates for adolescent drivers, making it harder for them to get car insurance because they are the ones causing the most accidents. I agree with you, teens should wait until the time is right for them to drink because it's important to drink responsibly for the sake of yourself and others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't agree more. It breaks my heart for the teens to go down and get drunk because it makes them feel free for that moment but they don't realized its clouding their judgement on many things. There are many ways to have fun on friday nights and saturday nights. Drinking not one of them. I can understand if its once awhile. But not heavy and daily thing to do. If the teens used this excuse oh I'm depressed and it makes me feel numb or it takes away my pain, etc. There are many ways to deal with depression and pains by going to Therpist, hang out with your love ones etc. But most of the teens get drunk because they want to fit in or it makes them happy. I don't see how but again I'm not going to find out because its not the lifestyle I want to life in and be influence to others. And be looked down by your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your first sentence. Great post.

    Grade: 4/4

    ReplyDelete