Monday, March 16, 2009

Are computers a little much?

Over time the world and people start changing. This would mean that so does technology. Each year technology takes on the process of almost controlling our lives. They're basically one step away from feeding us and talking for us. By this day and age computers and technology control our lives and it isn't good.  People don't really realize how it's a problem but i believe it is. By technology controlling our every move people tend to get lazier and lazier which makes everything worse. Teens and kids are hardly playing outside anymore because they're either watching t.v or more common, on the computer. This usually doesn't sound like a problem because people think since kids aren't outside getting into trouble at least their home where it's safe.  This is true, but it leads to bigger problems such as obesity. This is also a growing epidemic because kids do not get the right amount of exercise they need a day. A survey in the NY times stated that over 2.231 people did a survey and that they spend an average of 10 hours a week on a computer. While the amount of time for computers went higher, television seemed to go down over the years.  It said about 35%  of people said they stopped watching t.v because of their computer habits. This doesn't only affect your health but also your way of living. People stop picking up books, reading magazines and such because they are so in tuned to computers. It's an addiction and I think it's starting to get a little out of hand. By the year 2015 people won't need to do anything with their lives because they'll have technology to depend on. People don't get anything don't get anything done because the internet provides them with everything and it's not good. I think people should start lessening their time in front of a computer screen and get active before it's to late.

6 comments:

  1. Having technology improving over the years seems not to be a bad idea because we wouldn't have cell phones, laptops or better advance music players as mp3/ipod. Pretty soon, technology will have touch screen and only recongized your finger prints. The only thing I agreed with you about having people spending huge hours on the computer, surfing online, chatting or whatever else they are doing, its not healthy and that person is becoming isolated by the computer. For those people spend hours on computer will develop lonliness and won't know how to interact with other people in society because they are so used to the computer, the keyboard is their mouth. & other thing, Wii came out, with video games that you can actually play sports and it really annoying how they used that as their excise time. Its always depends how you used technology & yes, there are some negatives and positive about technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what your saying but if we didn't have technology then we wouldn't have cell phones and other technologies just like Natalie said. I agree with you that more kids do use their free time on sitting in front of a screen with lots of colors . Back in the day, there were no special technology that would take up people's time, they would go out side and play with anything that would get them running. The internet is addiction that no one can stop. Now a days the news and weather is all on the computers. Sooner or later we will be watching t.v on the computer. What a life that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, computers and technology are making the world a smaller place. Everything could be done on the internet, by the way Joseph people can watch television shows and movies online. There are online websites that offer reruns of t.v. shows, soap operas, music videos, and even upcoming movies. People often spend their leisure time on the computers but where would we be without them? We can pay bills online and even communicate with each other through the computer. Programs like oovoo allow us to see our friends on webcam and have a conversation as if they are right in front of you. It seems like it's the new trend and it is fun, but you're better off making plans with your friends because socializing in person allows you to better expand your social skills and prepare you for the adult world. You might need to attend a professional meeting and communicating properly is an essential characteristic that may be hard to attain if most of your time is spent communicating online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't necessarily agree with that computers effect on life are solely negative. Have you forgot the vast amount of improvement it mad to daily life and how it has helped us as a species. I do believe that computer can take away time spent on more physical activities but with the right intervention of a responsible parent this problem can be fixed. I also acknowledge the fact of how computer are integrated into out life immensely for at this moment im doing my work for class on a computer on the internet which shows how much computer effect our lives. I also agree that it is kind of sad to think that kids younger than me are spending so much time on the computer and less time outside because i know how much i enjoyed going outside when i was younger but I also did not have the temptation of the internet. As for the computer taking time away from things such as reading I don't agree with. I believe that it is pure laziness for example I a somewhat computer obsessed teen still finds time to read a good but but than again i might be an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, and disagree with some of the points that you've made. I agree that most of the times technology such as computers control our lives. Cell phones that act as computers have taken away social lives. Texting friends more than even speaking to them, or "myspacing", some people dont even know how to meet friends without pressing the "request" button on myspace. But there are so many technologies that have changed the world for the better. I agree with what Jay said right above me, when he speaks about the vast improvements. I think technology counts most in the medical field where its saving lives. I agree that it takes away so much from physical activity. Children should be active, enjoying their childhood, and not sitting infront of a videogame and excercising their fingers. Then again I guess everything has pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often feel similarly to you. Great topic.

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete